Since the early 1980's Icom envisioned the integration of radios and computers. It was introduced in the
the CI-V system, Icom's 5th communication interface product.The control commands support legacy equipment;
meaning that while a radio sold today may have more features to control, the basic features set is compatible
with a radio released 20 years ago.
To learn how to build your R6 interface, the current documentation is listed
in the instruction manual while legacy gear can be found in the Knowledge Base document
100 kHz – 1309.995 MHz* wideband coverage
While the IC-R6 receives an ultra wideband frequency range, the radio provides superior
sensitivity and reciever characteristics that is insusceptible to interference. Amateur
stations, AM, FM, short wave broadcasts, TV audio* and
a variety of utility communications can be caught and listened to.
Frequency range depends on version. Analog TV auido only. Cannot
decode digital TV audio.
100 channels per second high speed scan
The IC-R6 has 100 channels per second high speed scan capability*.
This superior scanning power allows the utmost efficiency when search over 1300 MHz
VFO mode scanning.
15 hours of continuous receive capability*
The IC-R6 is energy-efficient, designed to provide many hours of listening
enjoyment on a single charge. With the supplied rechargeable Ni-MH cells
(1400mAh × 2), the IC-R6 provides up to 15 hours of continuous receive
At 50 mW output using external speaker.
1300 memory channels with 22 memory banks
With 1300 alphanumeric memory channels, 50 scan edges and 200 auto write memories,
the IC-R6 gives you flexible scanning. Use the bank link scan feature to choose from
and connect any of the 22 memory banks.
VSC (Voice Squelch Control)
The VSC opens the squelch only when a modulated signal is detected and
ignores unmodulated beat noise. It is a handy feature for those listeners
who are scanning for talk, news and music, but not data bursts or beacons.
Multiple power choices
The IC-R6 can be powered by rechargeable Ni-MH cells, or with alkaline batteries.
Run the IC-R6 using the AC adapter, BC-196S, or opt for a cigarette lighter cable,
CP-18. When used the optional drop-in charger stand BC-194 with the AC adapter or
cigarette lighter cable, you can easily start charging the Ni-MH cells, while
eliminating the need to connect the power source to the DC power jack of the receiver.
Create your own software
Did you know that the IC-R6 is computer controllable? The R6 features open source control commands that allow users to write their own software. Even more, software developers can build their own R6 interface!
Find out how you can program your IC-R6 now!
- Built-in audio low pass filter
- ±1.0ppm high frequency stability (at 25°C)
- Earphone cord antenna for AM broadcast
- Ferrite bar antenna for AM broadcast
- 150mW loud audio with internal speaker
- DTCS and CTCSS tone squelch and reverse tone squelch
- Priority watch function with priority beep function
- Optional CT-17, CI-V level converter for remote control
- PC programmable with optional CS-R6
- Receiver-to-receiver cloning (optional OPC-474 required)
- Auto power OFF (0.5-2 hours and end of busy signal)
- Compact, dip-resistant construction
- Duplex operation monitoring
- Automatic LCD backlight
- Dial speed acceleration
- Built-in RF attenuator
- Auto memory write scan stores the detected frequency, mode and
tone into a specified memory
- Reversible up/down buttons and dial knob for volume, frequency,
memory channel, scan direction and set mode settings
- Weather channel receive with weather alert